IND vs ENG 3rd Test – Ashwin in Indian Playing XI? Ever since Ravindra Jadeja was preferred to Ravichandran Ashwin of the Tests in England, questions have been raised about captain Virat Kohli’s decision. But the left-arm spinner has disappointed going wicketless in 44 overs he has bowled. It was India’s pace quartet who handed India a vital win at Lord’s, helping them take a 1-0 lead in the five-match Test series. But Jadeja’s struggle with the ball is likely to pave way for Ashwin for the 3rd Test at Headingley, Leeds.
IND vs ENG 3rd Test – India Playing XI: R Ashwin likely to make a comeback replacing wicket-less Ravindra Jadeja
IND vs ENG 3rd Test – Ashwin in Indian Playing XI? Ravindra Jadeja was the first-choice spinner mainly due to his batting abilities and he has delivered with the ailing middle-order struggling to score runs. The other aspect that played in his favour was the conditions in Nottingham and London. Both Trent Bridge and Lord’s saw intermittent rain and cloudy skies, helping Indian seamers Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Mohammed Shami besides Ishant Sharma pick up wickets and hunt struggling England batters in packs.
IND vs ENG 3rd Test – India Playing XI: However, had they not been able to pick up wickets, India would have been in trouble – sample this.
– In the 1st Test, Ravindra Jadeja bowled 16 overs without any success and that he gave away runs at over 3.30 runs on average meant, England batters didn’t struggle against his spin.
– The 2nd Test saw no difference as Jadeja went wicketless again, bowling 28 overs in exchange for 48 runs. Jadeja often bowled far too many full-length deliveries and half volleys. That didn’t put any pressure on the England batsmen. On the other hand, England’s sole spinner Moeen Ali still bagged three wickets in the 2nd Test.
– India Tour of England: In fact, on the entire England tour, Ravindra Jadeja has bagged only two wickets — one against New Zealand in the WTC Final and one against Select County XI in the warm-up match. Ravichandran Ashwin on the other hand has been successful. He scalped four wickets against New Zealand in the WTC Final and returned with 7 wickets for his one-off stint with Surrey including 6/27 in the 2nd innings at Oval.
“Ashwin will provide the perfect balance. Jadeja has to work on his bowling. He is giving away too many full-length deliveries and half volleys making it easier for the batsmen. His bowling is neither here nor there…Not acceptable in Test matches. Ashwin can be an important part of India’s game plan. He can also bat well, better than Ishant. I would always play two spinners at this time of the year,” Mushtaq Mohammad told The Telegraph India.
IND vs ENG 3rd Test – India Playing XI: The other factor that will play in Ashwin’s favour is the change in conditions. The 3rd Test in Leeds is expected to be dry conditions with spin likely to be a factor on the last two days. Apart from rain prediction on August 21, Leeds is not expected to have any rain and plenty of sunshine in the three days going into the 3rd Test starting August 25. That means conditions will be dry and could force Virat Kohli to make changes in bowling combination. Instead of four pacers and a spinner, Kohli could field three pacers and two spinners, bringing Ravichandran Ashwin back.
- Ravindra Jadeja hasn’t been successful with the ball, going wicketless in the two matches.
- As per UK Met Office predictions, weather conditions are expected to be dry with no rain on the three days going into the match.
- The dry pitch is expected to assist spinners from Day 3 and 4.
- England batsmen have struggled against Ashwin’s off-spin.
- Ashwin has had a successful stint with Surrey in a County match.
IND vs ENG 3rd Test – India Playing XI: Considering that, India is expected to bring Ashwin back with Jadeja sitting out if there is rain. But if the conditions continue to remain dry, both spinners could also play with Ishant Sharma likely to be benched. But it will depend on the conditions on August 24 and 25 to take a call on who will be benched.
India’s likely Playing XI for 3rd Test: Openers: KL Rahul, Rohit Sharma, No 3: Cheteshwar Pujara, No 4: Virat Kohli, No 5: Ajinkya Rahane, No 6: Rishabh Pant, No 7: Ravichandran Ashwin, No 8: Mohammed Shami, No 9: Jasprit Bumrah, No 10: Mohammed Siraj, No 11: Ishant Sharma/Ravindra Jadeja (Depending on conditions).